Ever thought what is making your healthy hair dull and unhealthy?
Various studies indicate that stress being the major contributor for unhealthy hair leading to hair loss. External factors like diet, chemicals and sunlight also go hand in hand in making your healthy hair thin and brittle and you end up mourning about not having strong and shiny hair.
So how to preserve your healthy hair?
1. Start eating healthy: A healthy diet is the secret behind having healthy hair. Include food items from all 5 food groups – vegetables and legumes/beans, fruits, cereals and wholegrains, meats, poultry, fish and eggs and most finally milk and milk products.
Do not forget to include diet supplements that are known to boost hair growth. These may include:
- Oysters: Deficiency of zinc and iron in the diet is a symptom of hair loss. This shellfish is rich in both these components which are known to boost hair growth.
- Eggs: Eggs are rich in vitamin B, Biotin and protein, which are known for strengthening the hair.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is known to improve blood circulation. So when the much needed blood flow is healthy, the hair gets oxygen, vitamins and minerals that it needs to stay healthy.
- Sweet Potatoes: When your hair starts getting dull and dry, it’s time to start eating some sweet potatoes. They are rich in beta carotene, which is an anti-oxidant which the body uses to prevent dryness and keep the scalp healthy.
- Spinach: Spinach being rich in vitamin A, biotin, iron, folate etc. does wonders to your hair by preventing dullness, brittleness and dryness.
- Greek Yogurt: It has richness of protein and Vitamin B5 which is useful in preventing hair thinning and even bald spots.
2. Check on your hair styling: Wearing too many clips or pins or tying a ponytail could be damaging to the hair and you shouldn’t be doing that at a regular basis. Keeping your hair open could prevent breakage and keep your hair in a healthy state.
3. Do not brush your hair too much: It could contribute to the hair fall and damage your hair. So brush your hair just enough make it look neat and tidy. Using a paddle brush on your thick and long hair could also minimize damage.
4. Get rid of stress: Stress can cause hormonal imbalances leading to easy hair fall. With the help of optimum nutrition and stress releasing exercises the hair can be restored to a healthy state. Exercising increases the secretion of endorphin’s which is a pain reduction hormone responsible for the overall well-being of an individual. Deepobreathing and muscle relaxation are other ways to release built-up stress.
5. Use organic hair products: Avoid using products that are full of chemicals, as they could be damaging to the hair in the long run. Switch to organic products like Argan, castor and coconut oil as they keep your hair healthy.
6. Avoid shampooing everyday: The chemical content in most shampoos are more likely to result in hair breakage while you are taking a shower. It could be potentially damaging to the hair in the long run. So considering shampooing only when your hair is dirty enough.
7. Say no to hair styling tools: Using hair dryers and heated styling tools can cause the hair to become brittle and therefore break. So consider finding a product that would make your hair look stylish as it dries naturally.
8. Take the right supplements: There are a number of supplements like MSM, copper, L-cysteine, etc. that can help boost your hair health naturally. Consult a Trichologist and find out what suits you the best.
Methylsulphonlymethane (MSM) is a naturally occuring sulphur that, in the body, is one of the major building blocks of glycosaminoglycans. This formula is designed for anyone who wants to supplement their diet with MSM and wants a premium strength product.
L-Cysteine is a sulfur-containing amino acid that helps synthesize keratin, a protein found in skin, hair and nails. It is also a precursor to L-Glutathione, a tripeptide involved in one of the body’s detoxification systems. This product provides Free Form L-Cysteine to promote optimal absorption and assimilation. Free of: gluten, wheat, dairy, yeast, preservatives, sweeteners, artificial flavours or colours. Suitable for vegan and kosher.