Table of Contents
Windows are an important part of any house and play an important role in contributing to and determining the security of the house. Apart from that, windows can also reduce the power consumption cost and they can provide you utmost level of privacy. So, if you want to keep your rooms warm, cozy, and comfortable without being claustrophobic then you must install proper glass windows. The overall aesthetic appeal of the house depends on the way windows are maintained and you should replace the damaged and the cracked glass of the window by the window glass replacement services.
The last point is equally important as it makes homeowners feel proud of where they live and encourages proper maintenance. This, in turn, increases the value of the house and property and makes it more attractive on the property market.
Different types of glasses available for your window
Window glass is of different types and includes the following;
- The tempered glass, which will prevent any kind of damages and provide you better durability than other glasses.
- The low e glass, which specifically reduces solar warming and you can install them to block the sun’s ray. These glasses can also prevent harmful UV ray and keep your rooms dark and cool.
- The designer glass, which is custom-made according to the individual requirements and preferences of the customer and has artistic appeal
- The argon glass, which specifically raises the energy efficiency level, and you can install them in your living rooms because you can save the power consumption cost by installing these glasses.
- The double-glazed glass, which is energy efficient and can steadily lessen energy bills, additionally reduces noise-levels
- The insulated or laminated glass, which prevents Ultra Violet Rays and noise from entering the house. Apart from that, you can also replace your window glass with plate glass and thermopile glasses.
The selection of the type of glass depends on individual needs and the purpose the glass is going to serve. For more information, you can contact the window glass replacement services and they can suggest you the best kind of glasses according to your needs and budget.
How would you replace the window glasses?
Regarding the technique, if there is any broken glass, it needs to be removed with work gloves and safety goggles/glasses. With a towel, the broken glass must be transferred onto and wrapped up in the newspaper and disposed of safely. Next, the existing window frame must be cleaned properly and everything sticking to the edges must be removed. This ensures that the new pane of glass fits into place correctly within the window frame. However, it is essential that it fits perfectly, and accordingly, it may become necessary to cut it with a glass cutter. Next, the glazier’s points, which are made of metal and look like small triangle-shaped pieces, hold the glass in place. Finally, putty is applied and scraped smooth into a thin layer between the edge of the glass and the frame. As a finishing touch, the putty is then either carefully painted or covered with trim to match the existing windows.
Additionally, knowledge of the tools used to complete the window glass replacement work helps immensely. These include work gloves, safety goggles/glasses, putty, putty knife, glasscutter, razor blade scraper, paint and paintbrush, chisel and pliers. They give an idea of what is needed with additional requirements not being limited to including linseed oil and heat-gun.
Thus, it is a good idea to have at least a general understanding of the technique of window glass replacement. This ensures that a homeowner is either able to do the job herself/himself or more carefully supervise hired professional personnel.