Table of Contents
What Is A Generator?
A generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical power. The mechanical energy from any source is used by the generator and convert it into an electrical one.
These sources could be of a variety of origin. For example,
- Steam turbines can convert mechanical energy into an electrical one.
- Gas turbines are another type where such transformation of energy could take place.
- Even water turbines can convert mechanical energy into an electrical one.
Different Types Of Generators
The generators are differentiated in different types depending upon your needs. For example, if you want to differentiate generators based on the source, then it can be differentiated into 6 different types:
- Gasoline generators: This is probably the most common generator mainly because of the availability of gasoline. Therefore, the cost of running these generators are low scale. Hence, these are the most common types of generators that you may find.
- Diesel fuel generators: Just like gasoline, the diesel is also easily available. Hence, associated generators depending upon the source, the diesel fuel generators take one of the top positions. These engines have a long life span which makes them easier to choose, as they have minimal maintenance cost than the other types of generators.
- Biodiesel generator: Biodiesel is one of the other types of fuel which drives the generator to transform mechanical energy into an electrical one. Biodiesel is made up of:
- Diesel and,
- Another biological source such as vegetable oil or animal fat.
These biodiesel generators have more pros than the diesel for the fact that, these generators are more environment-friendly than the diesel ones. These generators use less amount of non-renewable energy source of fossil fuels and they burn with lower emission of various products and leads to less waste generation.
- Propane gas fueled generator: These generators have an even longer life than the diesel ones. They come with the added advantage that they burn cleaner than the other fuels. But these are also a bit dangerous since propane is highly inflammable. Hence, they should be used with utmost caution.
- Natural gas: Natural gas is popular due to its high availability. Since these are situated at the site of the operation. Hence, these generators never run out of the supply of the fuel. The pro side of the natural gas is that they burn with minimal waste creation. Hence, natural gas generators are environment-friendly. However, the installation cost is high. Since these generators run on gas lines, if there is any leak, it poses a significant
Depending On Their Function, There Are Three Main Types Of Generators
- Portable generator: In case of a portable generator, the main source of fuel is diesel or any gas. There are many characteristics of a portable
- It generally uses a combustion engine to conduct the electricity.
- The portable generators could be used in even remote areas.
- It can be used to power the tools and lights.
- Inverter generator: This type of generator uses AC power. It also uses a rectifier which isn’t present in other generators which do help in transforming AC current into DC current.
- It can maintain a constant flow of current to an appliance.
- It is energy efficient.
- It can fit into a variety of places.
- Standby generators: It has an automatic switch, which automatically does switch up when there is power loss.
- It operates automatically.
- It also uses an internal combustion engine.
- It mainly has two components: A standby generator and an automatic transfer switch.
Thus, these were the types of generator. Therefore, you can decide to buy generator based on their function. Depending on your needs make a choice from the available options in the market and your affordability.