How Oxygen Therapy Strengthens The Immune System?


oxygen moleculeEvery living being requires oxygen to sustain, which is a known fact. We can barely survive without oxygen for 3 minutes. But did you know, air with 6% or lesser oxygen levels cannot support human life? The air of most cities today have an average oxygen content of around 20% and the more polluted ones range between 15% to 18%. This depleting oxygen supply has been linked with many cardiovascular diseases and cancers of all kinds. Oxygen can help immensely to support our immune system as we obtain 90% of our total energy from it and only the remaining 10% is contributed by food and water.

Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

oxygen therapy

Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy or mHBOT provides a very productive way to increase the levels of oxygen in our body thereby increasing the favorable effects that oxygen has on our immune system. This treatment is especially used to heal wounds, carbon monoxide poisoning, gangrene, or other infections where the tissues need extra oxygen to heal. In this therapy, the user is made to enter a special chamber where they can breathe pure oxygen in air pressure levels 1.5 to 3 times higher than the average level. This allows the oxygen atoms from the bloodstream to travel towards the cells and tissues that need healing and restore your body naturally.

How Does Oxygen Therapy Work

How Does Oxygen Therapy Work

  • Carrier of Oxygen-rich Plasma: When we get injured, our blood vessels get damaged as fluid gets leaked into the tissues, causing them to swell. This swelling holds back the oxygen from such damaged blood vessels causing the tissues to die. Oxygen therapy helps to reduce this swelling by flooding the tissues with oxygen and allowing them to heal. Oxygen saturation also improves the ability of the blood cells to alter their shape so they can traverse through restricted blood vessels and heal an inflamed tissue more thoroughly and quickly.
  • Blocks Harmful Bacteria: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy can eliminate the toxins of certain bacteria. By increasing the concentration of oxygen in the tissues it helps the body to fight against any infections and build a stronger immune system. This therapy is also beneficial in improving the ability of white blood cells to destroy invaders.
  • Helps Form New Skin Cells: Another benefit of oxygen therapy is that it encourages the formation of collagen or connective tissues by new blood vessel formation. It stimulates the blood cells to produce growth factors that are necessary for the process of healing of the cells.

Other Benefits of Oxygen Therapy

Following are the other benefits of oxygen therapy that boost our immune system:

  • Reducing fatigue
  • Strengthening the heart and lungs
  • Improving the functions of the brain and cell rejuvenation
  • Treating chronic infection called actinomycosis
  • Treating delayed radiation injury


Oxygen therapy should not be used by people who have undergone an ear surgery or have had any type of lung diseases recently. It is recommended that you consult your healthcare provider before you consider using this therapy.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here