Industries have been using a central vacuum system for a long time, but people have been neglecting the safety measure that comes with it nowadays and keeps falling into some of the other kind of trouble. To ensure that you not only make the best use of this device but also keep your workers safe. Thereby, maintaining the company’s reputation, here are a few safety tips to remember when you work with central vacuum pumps. But let us first put some light on the central vacuum pump and its uses in different industries.
What is a Central Vacuum Pump?
A vacuum pump is a device used in different industries which handles any leakage of gas or non-condensable particles into the central vacuum system to maintain a specified vacuum level. These systems help in evacuating space from the initial pressure to the lower one. Installing a central vacuum pump will ensure to provide a service for the long term. Thus, these are highly considered in most of the industrial area over the individuals.
How Are Central Vacuum System Applied in Different Industries?
Innovations in the Engineering line have turned many dreams into reality and the central vacuum pump is one of them. The most significant applications of these pumps include the following–
- Ceramic Industry
- Medical Industry
- Metals Fabrication
- Plastic Manufacturing
- Oil, Gas, and Petroleum Industries
What Are the Safety Tips to Remember When You Are Working With the Central Vacuum System?
- You need to reconsider all the possibilities of a chemical reaction that may occur in the system. You will have to make allowance for the chemical reaction that behaves abnormally, including reactions which may occur due to fault conditions. Do not forget to refer to Safety Data Sheets before you work on any material that may cause potential hazards at the workplace.
- When you are pumping pyrophoric materials or oxidants, make sure to use the right lubricant in the central vacuum system. Avoid any use of heavy metals in case you are processing the use of sodium azide or even producing it. Points of safely working pressures, its abnormal conditions, and faulty conditions should be taken care of before working on actual safety calculations.
- Take into account that the device used for pressure relief is the correct type for the central vacuum system and the rates are suitable for the application. Make sure that no exhaust blockage occurs. Even the dilution gases should be properly monitored and regulated.
- The system should be designed as such that when any hazardous materials pump out from the system, then the system by default fails to perform such action thereby maintaining a safe condition. In the case of pumping oxidants, PFPE (perfluoropolyether) oil should be used. To maintain safety levels, you will need to dilute the pyrophoric and flammable gases. For this, you have to use the inert gases to complete the task safely.
- Maximum rating of the pressure should be maintained. Under no circumstances, the maximum pressure should exceed or else you have to face drastic consequences. Stagnant volumes must be eliminated. Wherever appropriate, use the flame arrestors. Check for any leak from the equipment and test systems before using it.
Thus, if all these safety tips are kept in mind while using the central vacuum system, then there is no way that any fault occurs. Although, human error is still possible but ensuring to follow the rules will decrease the risk to a minimum. Working in industries could be tough, as you need to maintain the high standards of rules and regulations. A single mistake in maintaining the equipment could put many lives at risk.